Implementing distributed consensus on top of GCS API

Userlevel 1

Hi folks, I have published an article on how to build distributed locks do leader election using the GCS API primitives. Take a look and let me know what you think. I am here to discuss!

https://cloud.google.com/blog/topics/developers-practitioners/implementing-leader-election-google-cloud-storage

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thanks for the information, @ahmet! Are leader election/distributed locks uncommon at this point? @DobAngel thought you mind find this interesting.

Userlevel 1

@marissa.piazza Leader election is not uncommon is by any means. Nearly all replicated storage systems have leader election behind the scenes. For example, a Cassandra cluster, or an etcd cluster, or even the Google’s APIs themselves like GCS have leader election or distributed locks behind the curtain to ensure consistency in a distributed setup.

With this article, I explain how to implement your own leader election on top of a simple off-the-shelf API like GCS in your own applications to scale up your single-point-of-failure systems and still coordinate among replicas etc.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@ahmet thanks for the clarification there. Also, congrats on making the front page of the news today!