Hello world! :) | C2C Community

Hello world! :)

• 16 September 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi!
My name is Jaume, and I’m a freelancer so I’m “my whole organization”. For some projects I collaborate with other freelancers.

I’ve been working on web development for more than 20 years and I still have clients which are the same ones from day one… As a consultant, developer, designer… You name it! But now I’m moving out of as “everyone has a nephew who can do a website in that thing called WordPress which is free...” and I want to grow as I reached my full potential there… Now I’m turning to the “Google Galaxy”. With my clients we’ve had the free Gmail from when it was free for enterprises many years ago and now we’ve turned them into GSuite for Non Profits (yes, it’s still called GSuite, not Workspace...). I’m the admin for their domains.

I’ve always enjoyed programming… Be it in assembler for microprocessors from MicroChip to run weld automation machinery that I did for my father for years, small computers like RaspberryPi for my own projects or anything in Python, javascript or any language that falls in my hands to websites with a text processor in the old days doing everything by hand or turning to CMSes like Joomla (for one single client!), Code Igniter for little MVC apps or finally WordPress which I’m working with now for most of my clients and, at the same time, is the reason I want to move to different technologies…

My experience with Google Cloud is near to zero, far away (yet) from “hero”! ;)

What I’m famous for? Being the laziest one around… And it’s not a bad thing! As we say, “Measure twice and cut once”. I always give things a second twist to see if they can be improved/automatized so next time it’s easier to do them. At the beginning it may be slower than going straight to the answer but in the middle and long term it’s worth the initial extra effort.

I’m also known to be good at re-explaining things for people to understand them. I’ve taught people to use an accounting program without knowing accountancy,  but teaching them the mechanics of the program to do what they already knew to do on a book by hand. Or how to use their new camera by reading the manual (yes, I’m the one who reads it!). I also was a teacher for college freshmen when I was a college sophomore, before leaving college myself as I didn’t find useful what was taught there. I’ve always been self-taught in most of my adventures. Back then “everything was on the books”, now it’s on internet!

From this community I’d like to get people I can relate to and talk to without getting a weird look on the interlocutor’s face! Also access to resources would be great as “everything is online” but… Go and find it!

Right now I’m working on automating everyday processes for an NGO I’ve been volunteering for 25 years on this December and moving their data to the cloud. We’ve started with a clocking app from their phones because COVID made cleaning the previous one after every use impractical. We’ve added selective massive mailings with personalized attachments the next step and data analysis for the clocking is coming next… The main struggle now is to select some framework to add a layer to GSuite to present and get data from in a web app to keep the users from accessing the data directly. To filter their inputs and lower the risk of them deleting something by accident. Also to filter the data every user has access to.

You can connect with me any way you prefer, be it here or in linkedin (same profile name as here: jaumearagay).

Before closing I’d like to thank Ilias for introducing me to this community! :)

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +39

Hi @jaumearagay and welcome to the community! It’s great to have you here with us.

It would be great if you could share one or two (or more) stories from your 25 year career with your clients.

Have you checked our dedicated groups? I believe that the Workspace is the one that interests you the most.

We have plenty of upcoming events that you can sign-up and attend. Like the one with Michael Karner today.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Welcome @jaumearagay

The main struggle now is to select some framework to add a layer to GSuite to present and get data from in a web app to keep the users from accessing the data directly. To filter their inputs and lower the risk of them deleting something by accident. Also to filter the data every user has access to.

@JoeyMaller_UCC perhaps you have an answer to this?

Jaume, if you wanted to connect with another web developer/designer check out @Tomova’s intro here: 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks Marissa, I’ll take a look at Anna’s intro! :)

Thank you so much jaumearagay for very interesting intro post.. your writing is like flowing water of river.. you encouraged me to write my 1st intro post which i will write just after replying here..

Thank you marissa.piazza also for sending private message and encouraging me to write and reply in forum and start communicating and not just silently reading haha :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hehe @greymatters...to text, or not to text….that is the question.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Happy to inspire, @greymatters:blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge +39

Great work @jaumearagay :wink:

Userlevel 2
Badge

hi @jaumearagay 

Welcome to C2C global community. I can relate few things in common with you like

• Back then “everything was on the books”, now it’s on internet!
  • self taught programmer
  • web app

I’m also known to be good at re-explaining things for people to understand them

I would like to collaborate with you for the NGO project which you mentioned in the last. Let me know what you think and feel free to share your thoughts.