Solved

Cloud DNS for GKE with VPC resolution scope

I saw this blog post recently:
https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/containers-kubernetes/integrating-cloud-dns-with-gke

This looks really neat, but just wonder about it since from what I can recall SVC ClusterIPs are not routable outside of the cluster? I think with alias IP addresses used for PODs & SVCs only the PODs IPs are routeable in VPC, but that doesn’t help much since you never really use them directly, but always via ClusterIP or for any comms outside of cluster you would have to use ILB for which you could already use annotation to get Cloud DNS entry in the private zone? 

Cheers, Tomasz

icon

Best answer by yuval 10 June 2021, 18:38

Hi @tomasz.su . Thank you for making me read the blog post and the documentation again!

In regards to the “VPC scope DNS”, it looks like it is more about the headless aspect of ClusterIP - you will get the IP of one of the pods providing the service. But the more exciting part is no more kube-dns scaling issues.

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @tomasz.su . Thank you for making me read the blog post and the documentation again!

In regards to the “VPC scope DNS”, it looks like it is more about the headless aspect of ClusterIP - you will get the IP of one of the pods providing the service. But the more exciting part is no more kube-dns scaling issues.

Hi @yuval ah right, that makes total sense now.
So Cloud DNS doing effectively load balancing across all POD IPs, nice! With that we should be able to get rid of the GCP ILB when trying to expose a service to the rest of the VPC. 

> But the more exciting part is no more kube-dns scaling issues.
Of course, as “it is always DNS ;-)”

Cheers!