Managed Service for Prometheus just got even more affordable | C2C Community

Managed Service for Prometheus just got even more affordable

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

In the linked blog post, posted just today, Google Cloud has announced that they are modifying the pricing structure for Managed Service for Prometheus. The modifications include the addition of a new tier for those with massive utilization of the service, along with reduction in pricing for every tier available.

https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/devops-sre/managed-service-for-prometheus-offers-new-pricing-tier

Monitoring and providing clear visibility into your systems is an essential element of DevOps and SRE workloads. Prometheus is a powerful tool to provide that, but can get challenging to maintain in a performant, resilient, consistent manner across widely distributed workloads. Google Cloud’s Managed Service for Prometheus takes the burden of managing and scaling your Prometheus datastore off of your teams so they can focus on using the data instead of on collecting and storing it. 

Are you using Managed Service for Prometheus? How much of a savings will your team realize from this update? If you weren’t using it before, would you consider migrating to it now?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

I have used Prometheus only once. And that was before start using GCP. So, I can’t answer your questions @jennworks40 

But I can say for sure that I like the 3 options GCP is providing at their operating suite for GKE. The integration with Cloud Logging and Cloud Monitoring, including Google Cloud Managed Service for Prometheus.

Apart from your link there is the official documentation and a great deep dive YouTube video.

@seijimanoan @Vick are you using Prometheus? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@seijimanoan @Vick are you using Prometheus? 

I had used Prometheus in the previous year. But it was a self-managed one for little things. Currently, at current employer, we’re using a third party solution. Maybe the Prometheus can be in our roadmap though.

Nice to see the Google Cloud brings great solutions like this 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

@seijimanoan  A third party solution? Can you tell more about it?

I’m really curious! 🤔

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@seijimanoan  A third party solution? Can you tell more about it?

I’m really curious! 🤔

Sure! I avoided to mention some vendor 😁 It's Datadog, but I've already used New Relic too. It supports as logging as APM. But their best efforts are for APM by the way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

Cool!

Never used it before.

@jennworks40 have you used it?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I have used Prometheus before, though not through Google’s managed service. It is an easy to use time-series database. Given the scalability and price effectiveness of this offering, we will definitely be looking at it for future deployments in GCP within my team.