"What is BigQuery?" for rookies | C2C Community

"What is BigQuery?" for rookies

• 10 August 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Okay, you made it here, you want to get your hands more into GCP (Google Cloud Platform) and you are interested to know: “What is BigQuery?”. You keep hearing it all the time. 

Well, imagine you have a shop and you want to analyze buying habits of  your clients during the summer period. That’s relatively easy: If you have a database, you can run a query and get some results, right?

But what if you don’t have just a single shop, and you have thousands of shops? What if you want to get more detailed answers? Let’s say you want to figure out the buying habits of your clients by month, by region, by SKU? Things would definitely get more complex! 

It’s pretty simple to understand that the more information you have to search within, the more time it will take to get an answer back. And to get that answer back faster, you need more infrastructure. More infrastructure means more servers, more electricity, more personnel for maintenance, more licenses for software, more this, more that…

Well, here’s where BigQuery comes in! You don’t need any of that! You don’t need to do all of this administration. It’s automatically scalable according to your needs and you will only pay for what you use. 

Well, Google Cloud has released a series of amazing videos that explain to us their products in simple terms. Check it out here:

and don’t forget to write your own comments here :)

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I like that they have the whole playlist devoted to BigQuery

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Indeed, @Katsiaryna Vyshydkevich ! Did you notice by the way, that within the same playlist for BigQuery, there are also some very known great speakers like Priyanka Vergadia and Leigha Jarett? 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Indeed, @Katsiaryna Vyshydkevich ! Did you notice by the way, that within the same playlist for BigQuery, there are also some very known great speakers like Priyanka Vergadia and Leigha Jarett? 🙂

Sure, I saw Leigha Jarett)