Multiple IPs on 1 NIC of a GCE | C2C Community
Solved

Multiple IPs on 1 NIC of a GCE

• 15 June 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi, everyone. I just wanted to ask if there is any solution to provide 25 IPs on a single NIC of a GCE instance. Note that the IPs should all be accessible / reachable by other instances.

icon

Best answer by Alfons 16 June 2021, 00:21

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +32

Hi @ejcs001 , I hope someone has a solution for you. As far as I know the maximum per NIC is 1 IP, with a maximum of 8 NICs per VM.

Source

Cheers,

Alfons

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

hi @alfonsmr , thanks for the info. I have achieved what I want by using Alias IP Address.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

You can have only 1 IP per NIC on a VM. But you can cheat with a load balancer!!

Add a load balancer in front of your VM (with a single NIC), and you can add multiple frontends, also known as forwarding rules (limited to 15 on my personal account and 375 to my corporate accounts, per project)

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

WOW!

Nice tip @guillaume blaquiere 😀

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

You can have only 1 IP per NIC on a VM. But you can cheat with a load balancer!!

Add a load balancer in front of your VM (with a single NIC), and you can add multiple frontends, also known as forwarding rules (limited to 15 on my personal account and 375 to my corporate accounts, per project)

@guillaume blaquiere but will there be performance degradation comparing in accessing the NIC IP directly?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@guillaume blaquiere but will there be performance degradation comparing in accessing the NIC IP directly?

Of course, you add an additional layer and you will have few single digit ms in addition. All depends of your requirements. From user experience, it’s invisible. But for machine to machine, it can be slightly visible.