Spot VMs is now GA | C2C Community

Spot VMs is now GA

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Well, it was in preview... But, finally it got GA 😎

You can now begin deploying Spot VMs in your Google Cloud projects to start saving now. For an overview of Spot VMs, see our Preview launch blog and for a deeper dive, check out our Spot VM documentation.

Modern applications such as microservices, containerized workloads, and horizontal scalable applications are engineered to persist even when the underlying machine does not. This architecture allows you to leverage Spot VMs to access capacity and run applications at a low price. You will save 60 - 91% off the price of our on-demand VMs with Spot VMs.

To make it even easier to utilize Spot VMs, we’ve incorporated Spot VM support in a variety of tools. GKE for instance 🚀

Read further https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/compute/google-cloud-spot-vms-now-ga

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

Hi @seijimanoan,

yes, that’s a great step.

From Preemptible VMs to Spot VMs.

The main difference is Spot VMs are the latest version of Preemptible VMs. New and existing Preemptible VMs continue to be supported, and Preemptible VMs use the same pricing model as Spot VMs. However, Spot VMs provide new features that Preemptible VMs do not support. For example, Preemptible VMs can only run for up to 24 hours at a time, but Spot VMs do not have a maximum runtime.

@seijimanoan @Vick do you think that your company will try / use them?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@ilias Yes, we use preemptibles. It’s so much important. And I hope to adopt Spot VMs as sooner. Valuable benefits by the way!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@ilias , no for now but I hope to try it out soon. I think spot VMs will be better accepted by the cloud community as it helps to run fault tolerant workloads 

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

That’s really great @seijimanoan and @Vick.

It will be very helpful to let us know the results after adopting the Spot VMs. Maybe we can have you as speakers at one of our coffee chats in the future, what do you think @Alfons and @alexandria.johnson? Or just write a blog-post.

Just keep it in mind! 😉