Why Should You Consider Using Docker as a Developer? | C2C Community

Why Should You Consider Using Docker as a Developer?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Docker is an open source containerization platform. It is a platform that makes it easier, simpler, and safer in building, deploying, and managing containerized applications. Docker provides the ability to package and run an application in a loosely isolated environment called a container. The isolation and security allows you to run many containers simultaneously on a given host. Containers are lightweight and contain everything needed to run the application, so you do not need to rely on what is currently installed on the host. You can easily share containers while you work, and be sure that everyone you share with gets the same container that works in the same way. Read more here 

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Great post, thanks @Vick !

I am a rookie here on containerization, but as far as Docker is concerned, when it comes to orchestrating large distributed apps with hundreds of connected microservices including databases, secrets and external dependencies, Kubernetes is the best option, correct?

And reading in general and trying to understand it better, Kubernetes “is the future” when it comes to containerization - it’s like a replacement to Docker, correct? 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Actually, I also just discovered this great post by @jennifer : 

😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Great post, thanks @Vick !

I am a rookie here on containerization, but as far as Docker is concerned, when it comes to orchestrating large distributed apps with hundreds of connected microservices including databases, secrets and external dependencies, Kubernetes is the best option, correct?

And reading in general and trying to understand it better, Kubernetes “is the future” when it comes to containerization - it’s like a replacement to Docker, correct? 😎

You're right @Dimitris Petrakis. You can start getting your hands dirty with kubernetes using the Google kubernetes Engine labs on qwiklabs. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

@Vick , have you watched this great video? “Kubernetes: The Documentary”!

Here is part I: 

Here is part II: 

It was really nice to see how it all started and they’re also talking about Docker as well :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Vick , have you watched this great video? “Kubernetes: The Documentary”!

Here is part I: 

Here is part II: 

It was really nice to see how it all started and they’re also talking about Docker as well :)

Yes I've watched it. Very interesting 

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

Hi @Vick and @Dimitris Petrakis 

This is my favorite resource about Kubernetes 😉

https://cloud.google.com/kubernetes-engine/kubernetes-comic

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @Vick and @Dimitris Petrakis 

WOW! This looks AMAZING, @ilias ! Thanks! I’m starting the read! :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Vick and @Dimitris Petrakis 

@ilias Nice

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

Somehow I knew that you would like it @Vick 😉

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Salut super article @Vick @Dimitris Petrakis @ilias j'utilisais  Docker depuis peu de temps. Mais avec Google cloud kubernetes engin c'est l'avenir pour un produit de distribution grand public

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

i agree with you @BACHAR Acherif.

GKE is the next step.

But Docker is the beginning of the Containers. And it’s always nice to know where something started. What do you think?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

i agree with you @BACHAR Acherif.

GKE is the next step.

But Docker is the beginning of the Containers. And it’s always nice to know where something started. What do you think?

@ilias ,true

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

Thanks, @Vick.

If you read this post Use R to train and deploy machine learning models on Vertex AI, that was published yesterday, July 28, @BACHAR Acherif you can see that they are talking for Docker container.