On Jan. 13, 2022, The C2C Connect: DACH group invited Michel Lovis of TX Group to their community gathering to give a presentation about TX Group’s migration from Microsoft Suite to Google Workspace. After an introduction from co-host and DACH team lead Chanel Greco (
Below are summaries of some of the key points covered during the session:
1. TX group has evolved from being a newspaper-only company in 1893 to becoming an internationally recognized network of media and platforms.
2. TX Group has become the largest private digital network platform in Switzerland, reaching over 80% of the population, with 3,700 employees, around 500 technology experts, and 800 journalists from over 50 nations, and their digital revenue share is 53%.
3. TX Group today consists of Tamedia (paid media), 20 Minuten (free media), Goldbach (advertising), and TX Markets AG (market places), all of which are using scalable technology architecture in a federated organizational setup (cloud first/only, with strong push for agility & speed).
4. In 2015, the company shifted workspace operations from Microsoft to Google. The goal of the project was to get all users to adopt most of the Google Workspace applications, including Sheets, Docs, Slides, and Meet, thus making a big change toward the digital environment they have today.
5. Vision vs. reality: close customer care is key! The challenge of migrations is that it takes time for people to lose their original workspace and get used to change. Today TX Group retains many Microsoft installations, and will retain them long-term in some areas, departments, and Teams.
6. TX Group introduced the following measures and resources after launching Workspace:
- An internal Google CC with Google Experts
- Business proximity concept implementation
- Welcome info for new employees
- Knowledge-sharing and other help offerings
- Roadshow coffees
- Inviting people to express questions via management care and a satisfaction survey
- Specific courses including transformation lab
7. The second bigger change was the implementation of Goldbach. The bigger challenges here included the employees integrating a new company, which required a complete change of their working environment.
8. TX Group identifies six main different measures that were taken in order to make the process easier.
9. At the end of the session, the guests shared the benefits from their Google journey and the areas that would need a closer look.
10. Key takeaways from the session included: act faster, become more open, try something new, and "Pull faster than your shadow IT".
Watch a full recording of the event below: