Different ways of creating groups | C2C Community

Different ways of creating groups

• 17 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Google currently has many ways to create groups and different types of groups.

• Groups created by admin using Admin SDK or admin.google.com
  • Groups created on groups.google.com
  • Security Group created using Cloud Identity Groups API
  • Dynamic Group created in admin.google.com

Depending on how the groups were created and the type of the group, what you can or cannot do as an admin may vary. I have done a preliminary testing and shared the file publicly for viewing. 

If you have different experience, or if I missed anything, please leave a comment below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vT2Mp7-IDEm_Dtepe0f-wJs7QgAa798xQSG2awDYp4b34NEzQCZkqnlqCefiE6d-7zLgarCKQrazwL4/pubhtml

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

It's an exhausted list, @hjkimbrian as far as I can tell!  I have a public Group that transitioned back from Communities on the old G to new Google Groups.   

I often prefer working on the Groups's page  https://groups.google.com/  both on desktop and on mobile. Can you mention a few use cases of custom Group roles? This was recently added on Google Workspace and I would wish to use it with Groups beyond just job characteristics. 

Sincerely,

N.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Great piece of research @hjkimbrian 

I agree with @Nina Trankova custom Group roles is also an interesting area for discussion. What type of groups do organisations generally use and why?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

that’s a great question @Nina Trankova and @PaulRLees. I believe custom roles for groups were added to allow more granular control over individual groups similar to how Google approaches administrator privileges or IAM policies in GCP. 

Based on what I see, it looks like custom roles are currently only possible for member moderation (with out giving them owner or manager access).

I have found a couple more help articles on this topic.

As for use of groups.google.com itself, I participate in some of the public groups that end in @googlegroup.com (e.g. GAM). I was hoping to use Collaborative Inbox for a shared mailbox, but I quickly found out that when you send email as group, it cc’s the recipient and there isn’t an option to put the recipient in the to field, which was a deal breaker. So we ended up going with Gmail delegation instead.

As for mobile, I am surprised that you like the experience! I am not a fan of having to reload the page in desktop mode. I would like to see a mobile version or a progressive web app at some point in the future.