Google Meet Chops Off Calls After 60 Minutes On Free Accounts | C2C Community

Google Meet Chops Off Calls After 60 Minutes On Free Accounts

• 14 July 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

I just read that Google has started to reimpose time limits on Google Meet calls for those who don’t pay for the service.

Google’s support page says that “at 55 minutes, everyone gets a notification that the call is about to end. To extend the call, the host can upgrade their Google account. Otherwise, the call will end at 60 minutes”.

What do you think about this? I would love to read your views on this!

🤔

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I generally think it’s a valid business model for service providers to have a free-tier that has certain limitations.

Zoom does the same thing just that the call for the free account is limited to 40 minutes compared to the 60 minutes for Google Meet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

That’s true @chanelgreco 

And Zoom had exactly the same model during the height of the pandemic. While Google Meet had free accounts so that businesses could continue to function remotely and friends and family could keep in touch.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Sorry for being late on this thread. The warning about the 60 min time limit is only starting when there are 3 participants in the Meet meeting.

The change you are seeing with the duration of the Meet meetings relates to the Google Workspace Individual launch. Hosts with Google personal account in Meet meetings with three and more participants receive the warning message with an option to upgrade to Google Workspace Individual. The Meet ends at 60 min. To secure smooth experience with Meet meetings, Meet meetings hosts should consider upgrading to Google Workspace ndividual for the countries it's available currently: United States, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Japan and Australia.

Some hosts have found ways to avoid the time limit warning by keeping up being 2 participants in a Meet meeting at the same time.  For 2 participants, it's considered to be 1 on 1 meeting, thus one more new participant can join as soon as one leaves.  

I agree with @ilias and @chanelgreco on their comments comparing the model in Zoom. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

Thanks @Nina Trankova!