Google Meet picture-in-picture to Docs, Sheets, and Slides | C2C Community

Google Meet picture-in-picture to Docs, Sheets, and Slides

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

In the coming months, Google will be rolling out Meet picture-in-picture to Docs, Sheets, and Slides. Designed for interactions where you’re pitching a proposal or walking through a document. This seems like a great feature, however, could this have a negative effect with people insisting on more real-time interaction and collaboration?

Meet picture-in-picture

I love Google docs and the ability to have a single collaborative document, however, it’s very rare that I’ll be in a document at the same time as a colleague. I’d rather understand what’s necessary, leave comments or suggest changes and get on with my stuff, and only get together occasioning and when necessary. 

How do you see this new feature being adopted?

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I thing this change will be positive and embraced by teams who would like to work in real time together. 

I think no matter what the technology offers it’s us users, member of teams, who decide on how we want to collaborate.

Is as a team we decide this new functionality fits our needs, then great! If not, we simply won’t use it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

Picture in Picture to Docs, Sheets, and Slides? That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing it @PaulRLees.

I will agree with @chanelgreco. It’s up to us if we’ll use every new functionality. But to tell you the truth, I will try it for sure. At least once. :wink:

Userlevel 2

Superb topic @PaulRLees (and always great to hear from you sir!) and I love the comments so far from @ilias and @chanelgreco!

I’m of the opinion that we don’t really fully understand yet how this type of functionality will affect the way that we work together and I think it’s only the first step on the path to a much more connected remote collaboration experience.

Also, I think that Google are making some great steps in the direction of providing tools that will help us better manage our time and expectations that others have of our availability. For example, the new Time Insights report in Google Calendar will show a breakdown of your meeting activity and further improvement of Google Chat statuses coming down the line will help with the expectation setting.

So, overall I’m pretty bullish that it will only improve our ability to work together remotely! :raised_hands:

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

it’s only the first step on the path to a much more connected remote collaboration experience.”

Your post is very insightful @rowanmanson. Didn’t think about that. Now I am curious to see Google’s next steps! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Meet picture-in-picture to Docs, Sheets, and Slides. Designed for interactions where you’re pitching a proposal or walking through a document.

Excellent topic @PaulRLees ! I like you prefer asynchronous work on Docs. I like @chanelgrecocomment on decision making and tech functionalities rational. Great perspective @rowanmanson on the focus of  remote collaboration experience! It's one thing to join Google Meet for a topical discussion and completely different being in Meet "boots on document. I can't wait for these new Meet functionalities and benefit from efficient time in Google Meet. Now that the meeting fatigue is becoming a popular reference for remore work  meet picture-in-picture will be very helpful.  

Listening to The Future of Work from an Executive View this week the types of meetings seem to become the cornerstone shaping how Google Meet evolves. As an early Google Meet adopter it's being imressive to observe the speed and scale of implementation of Google Meet in Google Classroom, transforming it into a product of its own. Can you imagine if I as a Moderator refuse to unmute my partners white in a negotiations meeting? While control on muting students was one of the most wanted functionalities for teching in online classes.    

I can imagine an opposition to this functionality same as when Google Meet was introduced in Gmail and the Help Forum was flooded by complaints. Then Google rolled out an option to give users different choices. I may not experience it personally in my lifetime, but I'm sure that industries will adopt hybrid work starnards in future reflecting the specific character of the types of meetings.   

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

My work in documents is a mix of three circumstances:

• On my own, asynchronously.
  • Spontaneous synchronicity - where I’m working on a doc at the same time as other collaborator(s).
  • Intentional synchronicity - where we deliberately collaborate in real time.

This new feature has obvious benefits for intentional synchronicity - it’ll make the experience so much better.

I believe it also opens the door to greater collaboration during spontaneous synchronicity - where in-doc chat just didn’t cut it.

While I won’t be going out of my way to intentionally schedule more synchronous work, I can’t wait to take this feature for a spin!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I would like to see them integrate the concept they built in their Area120 for recording and sending loom type quick video updates. You could leave a video comment just like a typed comment, but able to elaborate more etc

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I would like to see them integrate the concept they built in their Area120 for recording and sending loom type quick video updates. You could leave a video comment just like a typed comment, but able to elaborate more etc

Although I don’t know what A120 concept you’re talking about (where can I check it out?) I love that idea. Some things are better described/expressed in words than text. Aside from video, it’d be great to have an audio option as well. Only downside of non-text approach is it becomes less searchable/glanceable.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

@ChristianNewman, I think @Jesse was referring to https://threadit.app/.

Another request from me would be better Chat and Closed Caption support from Meet. Chat should be the same throughout Workspace, currently, as we know, we lose Meetchat messages once a meeting has ended. Closed Captions should be written and stored in a Google Doc. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Thanks for the assist @PaulRLees! You are correct that is what I was referring to. 

I also agree about MeetChat and have been thinking a lot lately that they really need to figure that out, as well as in Doc chat when editing.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Here we go, it's been announced and it's Smart Canvas! 

An emersive team collaboration beyond time zones and languages  #Googlei/O2021