Legacy Google G Suite Possible Lawsuit | C2C Community

Legacy Google G Suite Possible Lawsuit

• 23 January 2022
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

We have a couple of clients and students that are still running Google G Suite for their small businesses. 

With Google looking to stop the free service that they have been using for years, this has concerned a lot of clients and students.

Do you think this is right?

We feel that Google said that the service was free and now with them changing their minds, it feels like a bait and switch.

https://chimicles.com/google-legacy-g-suite-class-action-investigation/

10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I use the free version and have done so since 2009, not had anything to say I will need to pay in the future

Userlevel 3
Badge

For anyone else like me who want aware of this, https://support.google.com/a/answer/2855120

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

Hi @Paulogier,

it’s a great topic for discussion. I first read about it from @PaulRLees post on LinkedIn. And I’m waiting for @alan.muntadas event to learn more about it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Thanks @ilias This kind of thing does leave a bad taste in our mouths. When the free legacy was not getting all the new fun features, that was fine, as they never said you would get all the new features. But this seems like a bad idea from Google’s part. 

Keeping an eye on this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

You have a point there @Paulogier.

I'm curious to see the strategy behind this movement. I hope / guess it exists.

I’m keeping an eye on this, also.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

@ilias @Paulogier I am not to surprised. Google has been working on shoring up the financial leaks over the past few years (unlimited storage, integrating Google Photos Storage in the general quota, adding on storage quota for Google Doc/Sheets/Slides, etc...)

this is very aligned with the overall strategy.

The biggest issue, is the “no path to consumer version”… as the consumer version now also has access to “workspace” this should be the “preferred path” for most of the free edition users. It would remove some functionality, but would not kill the core configuration.

While upgrading is also maintaining the core configuration, not everyone is able to afford it. so giving the “individual accounts” within the free workspace domain to transition to a @gmail.com account would allow to keep everyone happier than they are right now...

Userlevel 3
Badge

A migration path to @gmail accounts would be a good solution, I dont want to be paying for all my current accounts and would prefer to stay on the Google platform, so if there is no migration path then I am going to end up doing a bunch of Take OUts and Imports which will be tedious - plus I risk losing any media or apps I have paid for too, not a great experience.

I can understand Google removing the free version after all this time, but at least give us a path away from it

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

We have students that have purchased 1000s of $ worth of apps, and they are all tied to their Google account. They will have to move their documents and convert them from Google Docs and Sheets to a compatible format. Take Out is not my favourite thing and hardly ever works perfectly. 

They will need to move their YouTube accounts that they manage to another account. 

It is painful. If there was a button that initiated a migration that would do all of this for them, that would be step 1.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

“We have students”

@Paulogier  If they are in a plan that can qualify for Google for Education, then the plan remains free !

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

“We have students”

@Paulogier  If they are in a plan that can qualify for Google for Education, then the plan remains free !

Sorry, we have Udemy students. Not “students” 😂 didn’t even think about that!