No access to Google Maps | C2C Community
Question

No access to Google Maps

• 18 October 2021
  • 12 replies

It has been several weeks since I’ve been able to access Google Maps on my MacBook Air (Dec 2020, latest OS). The consistent message is:

“We are sorry, but  you do not have access to Google Maps. Please contact your Organization Administrator for access.”

Folks, it would seem that I am the Organization Administrator. I have tried contacting me, but I am not giving myself any helpful answers.

Thanks!

12 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

You want to go to admin.google.com > Apps > Additional Apps > Maps and turn that on. 

Thanks, but now I have run into another roadblock.

That link takes me to a Google login page. After I log in, I see this message:

“admin.google.com is used for Google Workspace accounts only. Regular Gmail accounts cannot be used to sign in to admin.google.com. Learn More

And honestly, I don’t grasp what the “Learn More” is wanting me to do.

This is a home computer, not part of any larger organization.

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

Do you have multi-login enabled?

Do you have your personal email account and another one like your company or school or…?

If yes, log out and unlink them. Make your personal account primary.

Check this thread https://support.google.com/maps/thread/77951735/link-url-bookmark-to-open-google-maps-with-specific-user-account-multiple-google-accounts?hl=en

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Canucklecabeza - you have logged into two accounts in the same browser profile. That should be avoided. Always create a profile for each of your Google accounts, so you can keep your data separate, and one organisation’s Chrome User Settings doesn’t affect your other account.

Please think of me as not quite as bright as the other people around here. I do know what a Google email account is, and I do have two of them. That wasn’t my fault, but that’s a discussion for another day.

Browser profile? I don’t know what that is, nor how to fix what you’re describing.

But I have a gut feeling that your advice may need me closer to my difficulties connecting to so many of Google’s services.

Thank you!

Folks, I have a feeling that the answer from Kim Nilsson is pointing in the direction of solving my “can’t connect to Google services” problem.

I find the C2C login confusing too, and yes, part of the problem surely is my lack of understanding of which Google mail account I should be using. If I have logged into two accounts, that means I need to log out of one of them, I guess. And try to remember not to log in with that one ever again?

Or “create a profile for each Google account”, which seems cumbersome and unnecessary. Unless I’m missing the point. As I so often do.

Thanks to anyone who can steer me to the next step.

@Canucklecabeza - you have logged into two accounts in the same browser profile. That should be avoided. Always create a profile for each of your Google accounts, so you can keep your data separate, and one organisation’s Chrome User Settings doesn’t affect your other account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +32

Hi Lorne,

Here you will find articles about the use of Google Chrome with multiple accounts maybe that will help.

Getting back to your first question. ““We are sorry, but  you do not have access to Google Maps. Please contact your Organization Administrator for access.” the message does not make sense if you are using your personal @gmail.com account (maps is generally available for gmail.com accounts) , so I presume you are using another account, maybe from your work.

This is the url that you are trying to use? https://www.google.com/maps/

Cheers,

Yes, my @gmail.com account is one of two. The other, issued by my local ISP, is a Google Workspace account, administered by Google, a new phenomenon in the past year. Which is possibly when the trouble began.

Generally, I’m using Safari as my browser. When I switch to Chrome, I still see the same error message, with Google Maps and with Google Drive. (I don’t think I use any other Google services, except Mail, occasionally.) But 50% of the time with Chrome as the browser, I have no issue. With Safari, it must be close to 100% of the time.

So I need to make sure I am logged in with the @gmail account, before trying to access any Google services?

Yes, the same URL, https://www.google.com/maps/

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Canucklecabeza - here is how you can see the difference between a Google account and a Chrome profile.

When using Chrome and viewing the Gmail page you should see something like this top-right. This is a PC, but, apart from the minimise/maximise/close buttons, it should look the same on your Mac.

You see that there are two images seemingly referring to me.

The images could also be a letter in the alphabet if you haven’t added an image to your Google account.

Anyway, the bottom larger one is a representation of your Google account.

The smaller top image/circle is your Chrome profile.

If you click the bottom one it should look like this, with no other accounts listed.

If there is an extra account there, you should sign out and remove it.

Then click the smaller image to see your Chrome profiles.

I have a number of profiles, so it looks like this.

Chrome profiles

You should have one for your Workspace account, and one for your private Gmail account, so the two accounts don’t mix.

That’s an impressive post, Kim.Nilsson. Thanks!

Today I tried to log into Google Duo on my iPad. “Cannot register. Check your WiFi.” Grr.. there’s nothing wrong with access to WiFi from the iPad. So I did delete the Google Workspace account, as you recommended. But the change still did not allow me to access Duo.

So I opened gmail.com in Chrome. The page opened without a problem, but it looks quite different from what you posted. I see only the one, circular image of myself. When I click on it, I see just my @gmail.com address… maybe because I just deleted the other within Duo? Not sure what it would have looked like before. Gmail seems to function as well as it always did.

After that, I opened Google Maps, and Google Drive, successfully! But as I noted before, the behaviour with Chrome as my browser has worked maybe 50% of the time. Fingers crossed!

I tried Safari again. Gmail was working fine after I logged in using the @gmail account. This time, clicking on my circular face image, I found that I was indeed logged in via the @gmail account, but that my Google Workspace account was also listed, initially as “Default” and moments later as “Session expired”. I don’t see an option to delete that account.

Within Safari, I am suddenly able to access Google Maps! Not via maps.google.com, but via maps.google.ca! But the button at top left invites me to Log In. That was a mistake, as it won’t let me switch to my @gmail.com, auto-entering the Workspace Account each time I try to switch, until finally ending up with a “URL not found on this server” message. Same experience with google drive.

I’m afraid this is becoming hopeless. Thanks for trying to help.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Sorry for you troubles, @Canucklecabeza 

Looks like you need to get someone that can give you hands-on support. It’s too hard to describe, and it does look different on different types of devices.

Thanks Kim.Nilsson. If only there were a Google user forum that supports online chat. It isn’t easy with these behemoth web-based companies finding any kind of official support. FAQs just don’t cut it!