User Time Tracking (spying) | C2C Community
Solved

User Time Tracking (spying)

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Have any of you been asked if you can track user time in Google Workspace?

I have a rather old school client, who recently moved to GW, and they want to be able to see how long their team are working in GW.

These questions always make my skin itch a bit, partly due to the out dated managers it reminds me of working under, but also because I’m sure there’s some legal hole I could fall into if I provide this and the team raise a grievance.

I hope the answer is “you can’t”, so I can swerve it easily!

icon

Best answer by dominikkugelmann 23 June 2021, 09:14

View original

11 replies

Hey,

You can find some insights in the reports section of Google Workspace like Drive files audit (who, when), Calendar events audit, or Login audit (when the user log in to the account). Each audit also offers custom alerts, which you can configure depends on the needs.

If the admin wants to know more, Enterprise Plus SKU offers Investigation tool, which is typically used for security related things, but with this module, they would be able to read emails, or change drive permissions - it’s quiet powerful. 

Best,

Marcin

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Enterprise (Plus; I believe) also has a feature called work insights that can be narrowed down to groups of 20 people. 

And because of that limitation it's the only tool I endorse. You can get a general understanding when and where people work w/o making them exposed. 

Additionally you can just say: "it's not possible" or better actually “I will not help you with this request as it..."

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

Additionally you can just say: "it's not possible" or better actually “I will not help you with this request as it..."

Thanks @dominikkugelmann 😀

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks guys, I think the extra cost of Enterprise Plus will put them off. :thumbsup_tone1:

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

Thanks guys, I think the extra cost of Enterprise Plus will put them off. :thumbsup_tone1:

🤣😂

Otherwise use @dominikkugelmann’s answer!

GATLabs (gatlabs.com) has a product called ‘Shield’, which is a browser protection package for Chrome, but it also has the advantage of being able to track to the minute where each user spends his/her time in the browser. This is actually a very useful business function in these cloud driven times, in that it allows the company to understand what apps are being used, which ones are not, the cost per hour of use of particular cloud packages, etc. It also tracks navigation, rather like Google analytics (except it is not for your site, but for all sites), this highlights bottlenecks in work flows, inefficient or confusing page navigation, etc. It can only be deployed to company managed browsers and can be configured to record during working hours. The problem is not with gathering information but rather with how it is used. Any smart manager already knows he gets between 2 and 4 hours (at most) productivity from a worker each day. His/Her goal is to make those 2 to 4 hours as safe, pleasant and productive as possible. To do that he needs stats and not vague ones based on groups. He also has a duty of care to all workers, these include a safe monitored working environment. This in fact is a legal obligation in most countries. Not knowing is also an excuse for managers not performing. What people do in their private mail accounts or their home browsers is their own business, or at least the knowledge is just confined to Google/MS/etc. and the Telcos/Carriers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

@Robert Baker 2-4 hours is the best case scenario? Well that is bleak! Is this worldwide, or just a regional fact?

Not

@Robert Baker 2-4 hours is the best case scenario? Well that is bleak! Is this worldwide, or just a regional fact?

Not bleak at all, and based on my 30 years experience as an owner/manager (so it could be very local indeed!). I would be exceptionally happy if any staff member of mine was productive for 4 hours out of the 7.5 hour working day we operate. I certainly don’t complain if I get 2+ productive hours. 4 hours cognitive output in an office environment is much harder than 8 to 9 hours manual labour in a factory of field. I’ve pretty good experience of both. I’m not someone who confuses activity with productivity.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Excellent points all around @Robert Baker! Thank you for clarifying.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I’ve pretty good experience of both. I’m not someone who confuses activity with productivity.

That is the essential point !

Tracking and auditing need to be used to help improve productivity, reduce costs etc.. not to be used by an “over the shoulder controlling manager”

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

We developed a solution which is used by a few clients who need to reported to 3rd parties what people are working on etc. Typically digital agencies or development organisations who allocate hours to paying clients. https://www.bespinlabs.com/konark/

I’m not a fan of tracking or monitoring for performance as it creates a culture of looking busy. Companies should be working with their employees to measure outputs which drive results, not checking how long someone if logged in for.