What's should Google's approach be to Employee Engagement? | C2C Community

What's should Google's approach be to Employee Engagement?

• 24 February 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Many of us have been working from home during the past 12 months, and as we start to see signs that the world is getting back to normal, it’s unlikely that knowledge working will even be the same again. As we enter a hybrid working environment individuals will be given the choice of where they work, either in an office, remote or a blend of the two.

Microsoft has recently announced Microsoft Viva which “builds on the power of Teams and Microsoft 365 to unify the employee experience across four key areas — Engagement, Wellbeing, Learning and Knowledge

Microsoft has identified that a hybrid working environment needs to have an online-first approach.

So, how does Google catch up and which existing products can be used, and which need enhancing? :rocket:  

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

i had to drop for another call, but i think google definitely has all the pieces of the puzzle. people all have products that they love individually, but google has lacked a unified strategy on workspace (emphasis on space). while changes to gmail redesign is appreciated, it makes me wonder and question.. what about the workspace customers that do not use gmail? (compliance, regulatory, architectural requirements). or even customers that are on essentials? 

i think this is why some of the intranet solutions exist today (some doing a better job than the other obviously). a few products that tout itself as the intranet of choice by Google, does an ok job of bringing a few widgets together.

i think something like employee engagement is an area of contention (what works for one company may not necessarily work for another), so I think Google is being cautious in putting engineering resources into developing something, but rather relying on partner solutions at present.

Userlevel 2

Ive heard from a few inside folks at Google that this topic is top of mind for the Chrome / Chromebook team.

The question they are asking internally is .. How can Chromebooks become the standard for WFH / Hybrid employees?