Zoom vs Google Meet | C2C Community

Zoom vs Google Meet

• 5 August 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

Just read this article Zoom Won’t Stop at Video Chat Dominance

It says that

Zoom’s share of the video-conferencing market rose by 10 percentage points to 76% in the June quarter from the March quarter, with sales growth rising in each of the three months.

and that

it seems large technology companies are giving up on trying to beat Zoom. For example, Alphabet Inc.’s Google Meet recently added a one-hour cap for non-paying group calls. The end of the technology giant’s unlimited free service for three or more users could drive additional customers toward Zoom.

What do you think? 

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Zoom has become a verb during the Pandemic. I have a weekly check in “Zoom” meeting with friends which is done over Google Meet, its called a Zoom meeting because everyone knows what that is. Zoom has a limit of 40 mins for the free tier so not sure why the articles suggests that by offering 1hr Google will be losing out?

Unfortunately Google has difficultly straddling the consumer and commercial offerings. Zoom has laser focus on one area, video conferencing, Google is trying to be all things to all people and has missed tapping into the market at the beginning of the pandemic.

From a business perspective Google Meet is still missing a number of key features that business owners tell me are critical to them which are well supported within Zoom. See 

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

I have a weekly check in “Zoom” meeting with friends which is done over Google Meet, its called a Zoom meeting because everyone knows what that is.

LOL :joy:

I had a Zoom call yesterday. And we had to stop it due to the 40 minutes free tier. And when I talked with the rest of the people about Google’s Meet and the 1 hour free, with the warning 10 minutes before, they were surprised.

“so not sure why the articles suggests that by offering 1hr Google will be losing out?”

Glad to read your thoughts @PaulRLees.I also did not understand the meaning of the article in their statement, their logc. How can a 40 minutes free tier be better than 60 minutes?

Related to this is that Google cedes the entire Chinese market to Zoom by definition. We are a 10,000+ seat Workspace customer and use Zoom for conferencing. Why? One big reason is China.

Userlevel 7
Badge +65

That’s true @mrichter.

I remember @andy.yates mentioning it in the past.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

To be honest, and certainly from an enterprise perspective, I don’t think the “vs” framing helps us.

I’d much rather see Google and Zoom (and Microsoft, etc) work together to ensure compatibility across their products, than I would seeing any one of them ‘win’. As Mark points out, we have very good reasons for using Zoom, even as we are a massive Google customer - and it’s critical to our success that they play nicely together. As it happens, they *do* - the Zoom add-on for Calendar is great, as is the (less well known) Zoom Chat bot. Zoom also happily displays all the meetings from Google Calendar, whether they are Zoom meetings or not.

For customers, I think we’re rarely well served when our chosen vendors and partners only pay lip service to openness - and I would love to see more folks put pressure on them to focus on compatibility, rather than feature parity - not a “vs” but an “adds to”.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

It mainly depends on if a company has a best of breed strategy for collaboration (Zoom/Slack/etc) or a “good enough” / All-in-one approach. We go all-in-one for collab and ERP and best of breed elsewhere (IT, HR, Legal etc).

What software actors do and how they position their tools doesn’t feel that relevant to me. Customers should control their IT, not suppliers.